Information Commons Services and Usage Procedures are governed by specific Rules and Policies. It is recommended for the Information Commons Users to understand and remain aware of the following:
User Rights and Responsibilities
a) Right to Access: Information Commons facilities and services are restricted to FCC ID card holders only. Anyone not displaying the FCC ID card may be prohibited from entering the IC area.
b) Cell Phones Ringers on silent: Cell phone ringers must be turned off or set to vibrate while being within the IC.
c) Noise: The Information Commons is a research, study, and collaborative work environment. It is NOT a quiet study area. Conversation is acceptable as long as it does not disturb other library patrons. Head phones and laptop audio features should be kept low so as not to disturb patrons. If you wish to listen to audio, please use the head phones.
d) Food, Drink, and Tobacco: No food or drinks are allowed in Information Commons Area. Users are liable for any damage to IC property caused by careless usage, vandalism, food or drinks. Tobacco use is prohibited in all University buildings and smoking is prohibited within all buildings.
e) Damaged or Lost Equipment or Hardware: Users are responsible for any damaged or lost peripherals or equipment that they had reserved. Please check the equipment booked or reserved for you, before you start using it. If you encounter a damaged computer, please notify the IC Help Desk staff immediately.
f) Referrals: When patron questions cannot be addressed by the Information Commons staff, referrals will be made to appropriate sources such as Senior Library professional staff, the Academic Technology Department, other campus units, online resources, or other libraries or organizations that can provide the needed information or assistance.
g) Posting of flyers, brochures, or advertisements is not permitted: Only IC staff and academic support services may post information in the Ewing Information Commons.
h) The Information Commons closes as scheduled: It is necessary to save work in advance of closing time and to leave the Commons at closing time.
Computer Use Policies
- Computers in the Information Commons are for the use of currently enrolled FCC students, faculty, and staff members only.
- Computer Workstations are available upon prior reservation, on a first come, first served basis.
- Priority for use is given to those conducting academic or course-related work.
- Reservations may be done by contacting IC Services Counter, by email or over phone, during IC opening hours.
- Walk-in reservations depend upon the availability of Computer workstations.
- Any User not reporting at the booked computer station within ten minutes of their reserved start time, the staff may forfeit the reservation.
- To optimize available resources, staff may regulate and limit use.
- Please be sensitive to the needs of others and to respect an individual’s rights to privacy
- IC Users are expected to take care of appropriate computer usage and refrain from inappropriate use of computers, as follows:
Appropriate Access and Use
- The Information Commons computing resources are primarily for the research and educational activities, i.e., to access Library catalogs databases, websites, and to connect to Library-licensed digital resources and to Library-related links.
- Printing and downloading capabilities are provided. There is a fee for printing.
- Users are expected to observe relevant copyright laws and regulations.
Examples of Inappropriate Use
- Monopolizing computer resources, i.e., using more than one computer at a time; spending an inordinate amount of time on a computer when others are waiting; using a computer for recreational purposes (e.g. game playing, listening to songs etc.) when others are waiting.
- Individuals should demonstrate respect for other individuals’ rights to privacy and freedom from intimidation or harassment. Users are asked to be sensitive to the fact that some on-screen images, sounds, or messages might create an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment for others.
- Installing software unless specifically approved by library staff.
- Attempting to bypass system restrictions or tampering with system files or applications unauthorized access to system files. Attempting to disrupt the integrity of the system.
- Configuring the system on your own
- Unauthorized copying of copyright-protected materials. Please contact IC Help Desk for details about Copyright and Fair Use.
Laptop Loans Policy
Laptop computers can be checked out by students, staff and faculty affiliated with Forman Christian College, from the Information Commons circulation desk. These laptops (with limited software installations) are intended for the convenience of IC users. Please do not take the laptops out of IC premises.
- Laptop computers may be checked out from the IC Help Desk for up to 2 hours.
- A valid FCC photo ID and a valid NIC are required for checkout.
- The laptops cannot leave the Information Commons or be checked out over night.
- It is necessary to make preparations to save work in advance of closing time and to return laptop computers before closing time.
- Laptops must be returned to the IC Help Desk at least one hour before closing.
- Overdue fines are Rs. 100 an hour. For example, a laptop returned one minute late will incur a fine of Rs.100.
- Special requests for software installation, extended use, or classroom usage will not be granted.
- IT Coordinator will provide laptop computer support to assist users in connecting to the campus network, configuring standard tools, and basic trouble shooting as time permits. We do not guarantee the retrieval of lost data.